Who does what for whom by when?
Necessary meetings should include action items for attendees. Without action items the solutions will rarely be implemented by the required deadline.
When delegating action items to meeting attendees remember the following:
- Assign tasks to a specific person or group
- Describe the expected product
- Establish the completion date
- Inquire about any needed support to complete the action item
- Have attendees summarize their assigned action items at the end of the meeting to ensure complete understanding
If you have a meeting that does not require any action items, then the meeting probably should have been cancelled.
Effective principals will monitor and follow-up on the assigned action items rather than assign them and then forget.
How do you assign action items, or what is your process for monitoring them once they are assigned?